Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Top 10 Things to Do This Summer

When I tell people I’m going to Europe for the summer, people tend to make certain assumptions about me. All of a sudden I become a cliché: the university student taking off after graduation to restlessly roam Europe, spend a lot of money, sleep with virtual strangers and drink copious amounts of foreign beer. Indeed, some of my friends from home have accused me of going to “find myself.” If you knew me, you’d know that I would never engage in such an endeavor. I’m not criticizing that kind of trip because I think it serves a purpose to some people, just not me.

I’m going for different reasons. The EU Study Tour was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. When else am I going to get the chance to sit inside the Jean Monnet room in the European Commission or hear a case tried at the European Court of Justice or witness a session of the European Parliament? That in itself is well worth the time and money. Then there are the academic pursuits as well. Many of the speakers we’ve had have been unparalleled. Then there’s the cultural stuff. Even now, I’m writing this from the window of my room in the Hachenburg castle. Looking out my window I see the main castle in front of me with its square orange and white windows and terra cotta walls. I can see the cobble stoned square and people reading outside on the grass and under giant green trees. How many people get this opportunity? I find myself uttering that sentence more and more these last few weeks.

But other than the great academic and work experience (my internship at CEPS), there are some other things I want to do while I’m here. I thought I’d share some of them; partly because I love making lists and partly so those of you reading this can help me accomplish them (either by nagging me about them or participating in them). They are (in no order):

1. Learn another language. I’m not talking German or Flemish, but simply proficiency in one of the two secondary languages I speak: Portuguese and French. As I’ll be living in Belgium for two months and then Portugal for another 6 weeks, the odds of this actually happening are pretty good.

2. Travel to at least two new cities/countries. Candidate sites include: Antwerp, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Frankfurt, Geneva, Madrid, Marseilles, Munich, Paris, Prague and Vienna. Disclaimer: This is contingent on time and money.

3. Earn a wage in Euros/not go bankrupt: This is a little out of my control but I’ll give it my best shot.

4. Take a ride on the English Channel (aka the Chunnel). This has been a dream of mine since I read “On Traverse La Marche” in Grade 11 French class. Fun fact: The Chunnel is also one of the 10 Engineering Wonders of the World.

5. Spend a night in a hostel. This should be a good “getting out of my comfort zone” type experience.

6. Freelance a story. I’d love to be one of those reporters that finds an amazing story (“hard-hitting” or otherwise) on my travels. It may also help achieve number three.

7. Visit the diamond exchange. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. What can I say? Also, as it’s located in Antwerp it may help accomplish number 2.

8. Learn to cook. I’m by no means hopeless in the kitchen. I just don’t care enough to take my time with meals. Maybe eating European food will convince me to get my act together.

9. Develop some kind of collection: When people go to different countries they always have a memento from the country they have to get. My friend Jeff collects maps. For Cassandra, it’s Christmas decorations. For Dave, it’s spoons. I want a thing. It has to be compact so as to fit in a suitcase. I’m thinking either maps or corkscrews. Suggestions are welcome.

10. Ride on a European tram/streetcar: I’ve barely been on one in Toronto (I took my maiden voyage last January), and I’m dying to find out what they’re like here.

That’s it for now. I’ll update the list when I’ve completed something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

2. I think Paris is a must. Not only is there a ton to see, but I think a history buff like yourself would enjoy a place that is extremely rich with history. I know when my sister went there, she loved it.
Nothing in Italy? I know you have your whole thing going on with Italians right now, but I think going to Vatican City would be awesome.

4. I did know that it was on the top 10 engineering wonders of the world! You know what else is on the list? The SkyDome.

9. Corkscrews would be cool...although make sure they somehow distinguish which country they were in, or right the country on a piece of tape and stick it on.

Overall a very good list. Very smart to link 2 and 7, and 3 and 6. That is like 4 birds with two stones!

Anonymous said...

You have to ride the chunnel!!! That would definitely be on my to do list if I was over there. And if you haven't done it by the time I come to visit we are doing it together!!! if you have already done it... well then you are doing it again with me!

Anonymous said...

stop the press.... you speak Portuguese??? I can now check off "thing I will learn today" off my to do list

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm going to assume that you're going to go visit Antwerp and Paris anyway, so I would recommend Prague. I have heard NOTHING but fantastic things about the Czech Republic in general, and Prague specifically, from those I know who have visited. Vienna would be pretty cool too.

I don't know about a collection idea. I tend to save currency from other countries. Coins and the odd paper note. If you continue to nurture a taste for beer, I would recommend bottlecaps.