Sunday, July 6, 2008

You know it's summer when...

July means a lot to different people. To young children, it means no school, endless days of wreaking havoc, popsicles and climbing trees. To students, it means working 9-5, driving with the windows down blaring music and weekend parties with friends. To me, July evokes sunshine, the smell of sunscreen, heat that reaches the thirties and lazy weekends. To Belgians, it means rainy days (nothing new there), slightly higher temperatures (hello low twenties instead of high teens) and great sales. That’s right, you read right. Sales. As in shopping. And it’s not just in Belgium. It’s continent wide. And everyone knows about it. Cassandra has been telling me since May that if we were going to Paris, it should be in July to take advantage of the sales. A friend of mine works at the Canadian Mission to the EU, and he says the Canadians there have been telling him the same. So today I checked them out. Me and a few hundred of my closest friends. Holy moly, there were a lot of people there. It wasn't as bad as Christmas shopping in Toronto, but I had never seen so many people shopping before. In some stores the lines for the cash were 10 people deep. Obviously, the July sales are a big deal.


Anyway, so I went. I didn’t want to—I’m on a self-imposed spending strike for the next two weeks and I was determined nothing would lure me off that picket line. But I was bullied there by two guy friends (forced to shop by men, doesn't sound real does it?) and so I went, rather unwillingly.

And oh, the beauty. They took me to the shopping street in Brussels, Rue de Neuve, where store upon store stood facing each other in a row of beauty: Esprit, Mexx, Promod, We, United Colors of Benetton, H&M (there were five, though I only visited two) and many more. Each had beautiful window displays with stunning clothes but the most alluring of all were the massive signs that read “-50%” and “sale” in three different languages. I spent two hours perusing that street, going in and out of stores and trying things on—sometimes against my will. I was a hard sell, too. My friend Dave would hold an item up for my inspection and like an American Idol judge, I would instantly deliver my verdict: no, yes, too fancy, don’t like the colour, not wild about the pattern etc. I promised myself I wouldn’t cave unless I found something that I loved. I’m glad to report that I didn’t buy one thing. But here are some of the more interesting finds.
This is a fun shoe. I understand it’s part of the whole gladiator trend and I’ll get ridiculed mercilessly for them (let the comments flow). But they’re pretty versatile and for €15 if I wear them from now until September (when I’m in Portugal) I’ll get my money’s worth.

The next one is a coat. I know many of you are thinking, “A coat? In July?” But this is for the fall in London. It’s a bit of a rain coat. The one I’m thinking of is from H&M but for some reason I can’t find it online (that’ll teach me to take pictures in the store). So, imagine this neckline (the big, scooped overflowing kind), with this jacket (except with a single row of black buttons and a little less A-line, in this colour.


Again, I know what you’re thinking: It’s yellow. And not a demure, eggshell yellow; sunbeam yellow. I was skeptical too. But after I was bullied into trying it on, it really grew on me. My reservations come from two areas. One, can I work yellow? I’ve always shied away from yellow because I feel like it’ll wash out my very white complexion. But the bright yellow pops. But does it make me look like Paddington Bear? Two, the collar. It’s quite large. I don’t have a problem with it, but is it distracting? It’s €30 but I’m going to think about it and maybe it’ll go down to €20.


Then there’s this purse (purses are my personal kryptonite). The one I want is from Mexx not Coach but this is the closest I could find. The one I was looking at was larger (taller and a bit wider--it can hold a clipboard), has thicker straps, is made out of a plastic and leather feeling material (more durable) and is green and brown with a buckle in the middle. It’s off-the-shoulder and therefore would be a good school bag. Right now it’s €30, but I hope if I go back next week it’ll be €20.

10 comments:

Gabbo said...

I resent being called a bully. You went willingly.
Guilty on the yellow jacket though.

Anonymous said...

Super person...
Remember you are living on the edge untile the pony express arrives.....

Anonymous said...

ok so my opinion... because I know you have been waiting for it.

1- If the jacket in question looks closer to the second pic, I say yes it would be a very nice purchase. You need a yellow jacket as you will want to ensure all possible head turning opportunities are not lost in the dreary, gray fall of the UK. With everyone walking with their heads down, it will be refreshing to see people lift their head to check out the beam of light ahead.
2- As for the sandals, I agree that they are this years new look but would much rather you get them in a bronze or copper colour instead of the silver. But that is just me.
3- No opinion on the bag

See you soon in Portugal with your new sandals!

Steven Peven

Anonymous said...

God job not buying anything! That is some solid will power. How did you resist?! Seriously, you could have bought the shoes and then just gone without a meal or two one day. Lucky I wasn't with you. :)

Anonymous said...

And by "God" I meant "Good", although I am sure God would approve as well.

Anonymous said...

I can't write anything remotely as "fashion foward" as Steve, so I will reserve judgement. Except to say that I think my husband may have some other "tendencies.....".

peace and love
jen

Anonymous said...

For those of us left behind - it's nice to live vicariously through you.

Enjoy it while you can........

Dee said...

Steve,
I fully approve of your estimation of the situation. I think the sandals in brown would be good. Silver to me says, "Zaa! I'm here look at me" Which is not what I'm looking for. And could be accomplished by the jacket really. And as we're on the subject of the jacket,I already have that lime green corduroy one. It may accomplish the same. Quite the quagmire I'm in. I just won't be any of it (except for the purse which is a practical purchase)

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that ever since you put up the picture of the gladiator shoe I have been seeing them EVERYWHERE! What is this craze all about?

Dee said...

I'm telling you they're everywhere. They were big last year too but WAY more so now. But they're all crazy with the straps climbing up your leg like a vine. I have a very specific idea of the ones I want and I haven't been able to find them yet.