Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Egyptian in Madrid

The architecture in Madrid is very Mediterranean. It reminds me a lot of Portugal: Red roofs, stucco buildings and warm, multi-coloured houses to keep cool in the summer. That’s why this stuck out a bit.


It’s called Templo de Debod and is actually an Egyptian temple. It was a present to Spain from Egypt for its role in saving the temple of Abu Simbel from the floodwaters of Lake Nasser following the construction of the Aswan Dam in southern Egypt. Go figure.

I tried to go in but I happened to have hit the four hour window where it closes each day. I was leaving for Lisbon that night, so it remained a mystery to me. But I’m told from people who went in (my sister and brother-in-law) that it was quite something.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Countries give such wicked gifts: France gives the U.S. the statue of liberty; Egypt gives Spain a temple; the U.S. gives Japan the atomic bomb...I mean...oh.

Dee said...

Snap. That was awesome!

Anonymous said...

The inside of the temple was filled with artifacts and the walls had old "carvings" that were fading- but you could still make out what some of it was. very cool. Also, Egypt likes to give away temples and inside there is a "model" of about 6 other temples and where they are now located...

Dee said...

So it's not even a unique gift? That's embarrassing. The architectural equivalent of a bottle of wine.