Monday, November 24, 2008

Sightseeing in Sintra

On one of my last days with my cousins we travelled to Sintra, a spot 20 minutes outside of Lisbon. I'd been to Sintra when I was little, and it was, and still remains, one of my favourite places in Portugal. There are several castles around the city which are the city's biggest draw. Tourists love to climb to the tops to soak up the scenery and the beautiful castle interiors. This time we were too late to go inside the castles. Instead we had some pastries and took a walk through the city. Here are some highlights.

The British poet Byron was a frequent visitor of Sintra (and this restaurant)

Street in Sintra (my cousin Rita is in purple)


Those buildings on the hill is one of castles in Sintra

The fairy tale style castle I went to when I was young.

Just for fun

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen's Fun Facts: Sintra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site on account of its 19th century Romantic architecture.
Lord Byron called Sintra "Glorious Eden".

Dee said...

Good to know. That Lord Byron. He knows his stuff.