Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Home Sweet Room

Friends and comrades, for those of you seeking to place me in a setting when reading my blog, this post is for you. A picture of my room, my lair, my home.


It's not as big as my room in Brussels and I think it's smaller than my room in Ottawa. It's certainly more narrow. I'm standing in the doorway; on one side is a wardrobe, on the other, tucked into a knook are my suitcases. The sink in the middle of the room was very jarring in the beginning, but now I barely notice it. In fact, I don't know how I ever did without it. The window is also a nice part of the room. It's actually a commodity here and apparently cost a bit more (though I had no choice in the matter). Though because my desk is right beside the window, if the curtains aren't drawn, I get the mother of all drafts.

My incredibly tidy desk. Imagine this overflowing with books, papers, pens and highlighters and you'll get a more accurate vision of my life for the past few months. If you'll look at the left of the picture, you'll see my collection of cutlery at the top of the shelf. It began as a covert operation, with me smuggling one piece out at a time a la the Carleton cafeteria. But when news broke that a friend had gotten caught taking a mug and had lived to tell the tale, the free for all began. My count stands at 9 cups/mugs, 8 teaspoons, 2 bowls (one salad and one soup), one knife, one spoon and one fork.


This is a view from in front of the window. It's all pretty self-explanatory. The box with the blue lid is a convenient place for hats, mitts and gloves as well as miscellaneous clothes. But it also contains non-perishable food: pretzels, Melba toast, soup-in-a-box, etc for when I get the munchies. All in all, it's not a bad set up. The building is a renovated 19th century Georgian hotel. I share a bathroom and shower with about 7-10 people. There's a common kitchen that we share with the floor (about 20-40 people maybe). Though it gets snug in the fridge I use it to hold my milk, sandwich meet and miscellaneous dip, if I'm feeling extravagant.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a pretty sweet Mountie postcard. But...is that a life-sized Princess Diana head next to it?

Dee said...

That is in indeed Princess Diana's head. Kyla got it for me when I was here in June.

What? Is that weird? :)

Gabbo said...

Are you that hard up for cutlery you had to start a small underground railroad in order to survive?

Dee said...

lol, it's no longer underground. But now it's a habit. I have way more cups than I needed.

Anonymous said...

D, don't feel bad re: the underground cutlery railroad, it may just be a right of passage...

I actually have a 4 3-piece place settings - salad plate, dinner plate and soup bowls- from Western...