Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Proof that I'm Growing Up

Much of my memories of Portugal were shaped by something called the Maxibon, an ice cream delight consisting of one part ice cream sandwich and one part chocolate bar with hazelnut coating and vanilla ice cream cream-filled inside.


The Maxibon was a bit of a myth with my family. My older brother and sister and I would always be on the lookout for the Nestle sign, a rare spectacle indeed in a country dominated by Olás (the Nestle-Olá rivalry is akin to the Pepsi-Coke one, but with ice cream, in Europe, no celebrity endorsements and on a smaller scale). We would be on the lookout for that sign, calling it "tunnel vision," that interestingly enough extended to our minds as we thought of nothing else. Like a diamond, the fact that Maxibons were so rare that made them so good.

That's why I was dismayed to find that when I had my first Maxibon of this trip, the excitement had dimmed: my heart didn't beat, my hands didn't shake and my mouth didn't water. It was just an ice cream. And sadly, it wasn't even that good. I've grown out of Maxibons? What's next? Developing a distaste for chocolate? What has happened to me?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not chocolate I'm worried about. When you are no longer excited by European monetary policy, then I'll be concerned.

Anonymous said...

doesn't Eva Lorgoria Parker peddle Ola ice creams??

Dee said...

She does. Magnums. That was my next one.

Anonymous said...

You realize if you start hating chocolate, our friendship is over right? Just kidding! Slightly...
Also Joni's post made me laugh out loud--literally. Hahahaha.
No offense but those ice cream bars look like they could go either way for me. I'd like a post about amazing British Cadbury chocolates and how they're so much better than the Cadbury in Canada, btw :) thanks!

Dee said...

Confession time: I don't even like Cadbury that much...

Anonymous said...

Yeah no worries, but remember those British girls I lived with? They were like, oh once you've tried British Cadbury, you'll fall in love, it's delightful, bloody tasty, yadda yadda. So now I'm curious.