Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This Can’t Be Good for Your Reputation

In my months in Europe, I’ve heard a lot of smack talking about the EU. It wasn’t so bad in Brussels. But now that I live in London, it has quadrupled. When one of my friends said, “Yeah, I think Europe is a great idea. I’d love to be European” I almost fell down and died from shock. The EU gets such a bad rap in Britain, especially, as a wasteful and bureaucratic organization.

But stories like this aren’t going to help rehabilitate that image. Calabria, a province in Italy’s poorer southern region, is looking to use EU development funds to help promote its soccer team citing, “it can help raise the profile of their area, both within Italy and overseas.” According to one website promoting Italian tourism, Calabria is currently "little-respected by other Italians and little-known to tourists." They expect it’ll cost €1.8 million over three years. I’ve heard of soccer doing a lot of things, but developing a nation isn’t one of them.

Soccer player kicking a ball
Oh and by the way, Calarbia just happens to be home to “the N'Drangheta, one of Italy's most powerful and violent mafia organizations.” Coincidence?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Diana. In my months reading your blog, I've noticed a strong dislike of Italians and their culture. Can you please add a disclaimer to your blog explaining that there are blatant as well as hidden anti-Italian sentiments throughout? :P I'm sorry that so many Ginos went to your school! Let it go! Haha.
PS What website claims that Calabria is "little-respected" by other Italians?
PPS I have to be honest: the reason I can't show you my blog is because it's full of ANTI PORTUGUESE literature. Whew. It's so nice to get that off of my chest.
PPPS Can you tell us more about your life in Europe and less about how much Italians suck? Like describe a day in England. Tell us about the people on your floor. What is your favourite class? Who is your favourite prof? Details, yo!

Dee said...

Hey, I just thought it was my duty to inform people about interesting goings on in this continent. It just HAPPENED that one part of your heritage involved. No offense meant, I promise :)