Monday, August 18, 2008

Living Life in First Class

Aside from the great cities, beautiful landscape and interesting sights, another reason my trip to Cologne and Bonn was so great had to do with the fact that I traveled first class. No, I haven’t suddenly come into a great deal of money (I wish). I’m just a canny planner—and a little bit lucky. When I booked the train to Cologne I was able to get a ticket in first class for cheaper than it would have cost to go in second class. So it was a no brainer.

I’d never gone anywhere first class before and I had no idea what to expect, except that there was going to be a meal because it said so when I booked. We caught the 10:30am train to Cologne, so our “meal” consisted of drinks and a snack. I chose a lemony tart and a Coke (I need my morning shot of caffeine). Based on this, riding in first class was less than spectacular. But the side benefits were pleasant. I grabbed a complimentary copy of the Financial Times, and cozied up in my single chair (with ample leg room) near the window, put in my iPod earphones and away we went. But it wasn’t all Champagne and mints-on-my-pillows. While I had taken advantage of the promotion, so had about three other families and their young, noise-making children. They caused a bit of a commotion for a substantial portion of the three and half hour train ride and put a damper on my first class experience.

But the ride back more than made up for it. For one, there were a lot less people. In the entire car, I could see about four other people, so it was a substantially quieter ride. And what people there were had the distinct aura of business people. There was one Brit and a young woman who looked like she was ready for a business meeting, complete with pencil skirt and stiletto heels (keep in mind this was a Sunday night). People looked at me in my jeans and ballet flats as if I was riffraff.

Secondly, the meal this time around was substantially better than Saturday’s breakfast.

It came with the following: a piece of salmon with lime; a slice of pineapple in the shape of a star (no joke); 2 swigs of lettuces and a slice of shaved cucumber topped with phenomenal dressing, all served atop a sprinkling of two kinds of nuts (which I was less than enthused about but knew my mother would approve of); also provided were butter and cheese that—I’m sure—were both highly subsidized by the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy to adorn the unlimited bread and drinks we were offered. Always one to make the most of situation, I helped myself to two servings of rolls and drinks. But the piece de resistance was truly the desert called “Delight” which was not a delight but definitely hit the spot. And on top of this, I knew I was in good company when I was given real utensils (a fork, a knife that actually cut things, 2 spoons (why one wouldn’t do I’ll never know) and a toothpick) and a linen napkin (no plastic in sight).

I'm sure for the males in the car--whose appetites can be quite large--the portions where quite small, but they were just right for me. Needless to say, I was impressed.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet you $10 that the slice of pineapple was actually starfruit, which grows...in the shape of a star.

Dee said...

...You may be right.

Gabbo said...

The food on your ride back was better than what was provided on both plane rides for Bucharest. You do luck out at times don't you?

Dee said...

I do. Except when I took the wrong train for an hour. That wasn't so lucky.

Anonymous said...

taking the wrong train for an hour?
No, not lucky for you. But funny for me! lol.

Dee said...

I'm glad I provide amusement. That's one of the aims of this blog at least