Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Waterloo, Finally Facing My Waterloo

The last trip day trip I took in Belgium was a little homage to home. I went to Waterloo, where Britain’s Duke of Wellington, along with Prussia, the Netherlands (and parts of Belgium), took on the might of the French empire under Napoleon Bonaparte. I’m not one for battlefields (I have no desire to see the many WWI or WWII battlefields scattered throughout Belgium), but this one was pretty cool.

The battle took place June 18, 1815 and was a pretty big deal. Afterward, Napoleon was defeated, and exiled on an island in the Mediterranean, and France left in shambles and the map of Europe was re-drawn at the Congress of Vienna and Europe would go on to enjoy peace (for the most part) until 1914. So there is a definite sense of occasion in the air.

Waterloo is a town an hour south of Brussels that’s actually quite happening, but you can’t tell this from the battlefield which takes place in the middle of nowhere. All you can see is farm land for miles and miles. The best view is from the Lion’s Mound, a cast iron lion statue that weighs 26 metric tonnes and sits atop a 41 metre-high hill, accessed by 226 steps (hardly my record but still quite a tiring climb). Erected between 1824 and 1826, it was erected on the spot where the Dutch Prince—and a member of Wellington’s army—was injured. It symbolizes the return of peace to Europe.

The Lion's Mound

Stairs leading to the top

The View from the top of the mound


The site is pretty impressive. With my €9 euro ticket I got to climb the Lion’s Mound, witness several cannon ball firings (very exciting once your ears stop ringing), an audio visual presentation, a film (that used children to act out the battle, which didn’t seem right), a huge panorama of the battle that was literally the size of a building and a wax museum as well as a guided tour of the battle in a bus. I was pretty happy with the day.

Napoleon

Getting ready to fire the cannon

There is one blazing omission I noticed at the site. There are memorials to the Prussians and Dutch, Victor Hugo (for some reason), and the soldiers that died, but there are no statues to Wellington who actually won the battle. All I could see was this statue of Napoleon.

I was told by some Brits I met that Wellington is celebrated in Britain, but you’d think he’d get some love in the battlefield in which he was the victor of. I guess not.

French soldiers hanging out

He did get his own museum in the town of Waterloo though, which was quite impressive. It was located in the inn Wellington stayed in the night before the battle. It not only housed his bed (which I touched), but the coat he wore to battle, and the bed that Sir Alexander Gordon—Wellington’s friend—died in (touched that too).

The inn Wellington stayed at the night before the war

Wellington's bed

A nice surprise of the museum was a room dedicated to Waterloos around the world. Sure enough, both Waterloo, Ontario and Waterloo, Quebec (who knew?) were featured, with big billboards and even a display case of Canadian maple syrup, beer and mayonnaise (definitely from the Quebecers). You Ontarian Waterlooers can be proud that apparently, the greatest Octoberfest outside of Munich takes place in Waterloo, Ontario. Fun fact, John Deere assembles their famous tractors in Waterloo, Iowa.

Canadian maple syrup and mayonnaise

5 comments:

Unknown said...

One important Waterloo missing, and that would be the musical version. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who only know about Napoleon's last battle because of ABBA. Doesn't it rate a mention?

Dee said...

Joni, where do you think the name of this post comes from? You'd think I'd let a golden opportunity like that pass me by?

Unknown said...

Of course I recognize the line! I was just making the case that the museum should acknowledge this Waterloo as well. :P

Dee said...

ooooooohhhhhhh, yes, very good point. I agree. They should have had it playing over the speakers when we got in the room. That would have been classy.

Anonymous said...

So excited by this post!!! Good to know about where the name of the city I have lived in for the past four years comes from.
Also, I did know that Waterloo, ON has the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. I have been to it, and it is awesome!!!!