Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A note about the weather.

Before coming to London, I was warned constantly about the weather. Rain, clouds, gloom was what awaited me. After a summer in Brussels, enjoying less than summery weather, I was even less excited weather-wise. Then I arrived here and I have a confession to make: I love London weather.

I am in love with London weather. Who wouldn’t love 14 degree weather in October? Who wouldn’t like fall in November? Who wouldn’t love 8 degrees in December?

New York Hit With Winter's First Snowstorm
I know I’m prejudiced. I’m from Canada and Canada is a cold place. And Ottawa, my home for the majority of the year these last four years, sometimes feels like the coldest place in the world. So when I come to a country where I can wear a light jacket in December, no mitts and no hat and my Converse sneakers, I’m happy as a clam. Yes it’s cold, but a lot of places are cold. London doesn’t have the bone-chilling, feels-like-swords-are-ripping-at-my-skin feeling of sub-zero temperatures. Sometimes it rains—OK, more than sometimes—but rain is just water. There’s no snow, no salt stains on my pants. I now realize why I have so many jeans: it’s not for fashion but because every winter I had to wash my jeans every day after coming home with huge salt stains up to mid calf.

This will revolutionize my life: I'll spend less on pants and do less laundry. I'll buy lighter clothes with less material and therefore spend less money. I'll take less time getting dressed in the morning because I'll have less layers. And I'll use less moisturizer because it's not as cold--or dry--in London than Ottawa. This will save me time and money.

Don’t get me wrong, there are parts that suck about London weather. It gets dark at 4:30pm here, and I am not down with that. That extra hour makes a huge difference. And the grey when it rains, doesn’t make me feel cheery inside. But it just makes you appreciate the sun when it does come out. But there’s something to be said for going outside and not feeling the hairs in your nose freeze.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night it was -24 in Waterloo so be glad that you are over there! But I think if everyone lived in Winnipeg for a couple of weeks we would definitely feel a lot better about the weather in Ontario.

Jessica said...

If you were in Edmonton you could have the best of both worlds. Just think! Dark from 4:50 to 8:45 and minus 23 with the wind chill today!

Dee said...

I timed this post really well. It coincided with the coldest days in Canada. Ever. :)

Anonymous said...

"Who wouldn’t love 14 degree weather in October? Who wouldn’t like fall in November? Who wouldn’t love 8 degrees in December?"
If someone reads this blog and disagees with the above questions...please send them to Ottawa asap. -27 today, -39 with windchill. I would friggin love 8 degree winter temperatures!I should've applied to UMiami! Faaack!
PS Feeling your nose hairs freeze is less awkward feeling than feeling your eyelashes freeze. :S
PSS I don't mean to sound so cranky but I blame OC Transpo AND Mother Nature.