Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One Law I Could Live With

As you read this, I'll be back from Paris and back to the grind (read: school and life). I'm sure I'll have much to say about the City of Lights and many pictures to share. But just to whet your appetites, here's something you may want to ponder. Last July I was talking about the sales in Brussels. Well, according to the New York Times, they are legislated:

"These sales are the real deal. Under French law, retail stores are only allowed to run public sales for several weeks in January and July, and for two weeks sometime during the year."
And they're even better than in Brussels.

"That marks opening day of this year’s winter “soldes” (sales), five weeks of frenzied bargain-hunting for the perfect Azzaro cocktail dress or the normally unaffordable monogrammed Noël bed linen — at between 30 and 70 percent off...
For foreign visitors, the best bargains are in clothing, although porcelain, glassware, linens, furniture, even wine and Champagne also go on sale. Pricey designer handbags and shoes are particularly good value, so expect long lines with cash-carrying, battle-ready Russian, Japanese and Chinese tourists outside Prada and Gucci."
I don't see myself forking over my scarce Euros for Gucci or Prada, but I'll let you know what I end up bringing back across the Channel.

Women carrying shopping bags

No comments: